Why even switch from Canny?
1. Expensive pricing
As of March 18, 2022, Canny changed their pricing plans. They introduced a free plan, but there is a catch - their paid plans now cost $400/mo instead of $50/mo.
This change was great for small teams that didn't need features like private boards, no-signup posting/upvoting, Single sign-on, user segmentation, integrations, post-moderation, custom statuses, priority support, etc...
However, this upset teams that needed more than the basic features since they now had to pay 8x as much for the same service.
For reference, other feedback tools like Featurebase provide you with the exact same functionality for just $35/month with even more options.
2. Lack of customizations
Another reason teams look for Canny alternatives is that there aren't many options to customize your feedback board. You are stuck with their design language, and if it doesn't fit your app, then too bad.
Many similar tools have a dark mode and allow you to change almost all the texts on your feedback board. Also, with many other tools, you have a lot more options to customize feedback widgets that you can embed in your app.
We recommend going with Canny:
If you can live with their free plan and don't need features like private boards, no-signup posting/upvoting, SSO, user segmentation, integrations, post-moderation, custom statuses, priority support, etc...
If Canny fits your design language and you don't need to make many customizations to your feedback board.
If you can justify paying $400 to $1000+/month for a tool that can be replicated with Airtable and Notion.
What to look for in an alternative?
When looking for a Canny.io alternative, consider the following factors:
- Features and functionality Look for a tool that offers the features that your use case needs.
- Pricing When comparing pricing, be sure to carefully review the features included in each plan, and consider if the cost is worth it for your business. You may also want to consider if the pricing is scalable so that you can easily upgrade or downgrade your plan as your needs change.
- User experience and design Choose a tool with a clean and intuitive interface, and consider its overall design aesthetic. This can make it easier for your team to quickly learn and use the tool and can improve their overall experience. A user-friendly interface and design will also help increase adoption and engagement with the tool.
- Good customer support Look for a tool with good customer support, such as a helpful knowledge base, responsive email or chat support, and clear documentation. This can help ensure that you have a smooth experience using the tool and can get assistance quickly if you run into any issues.
By carefully evaluating these factors, you can find a Canny.io alternative that meets your needs and fits within your budget.
Top 7 Canny alternatives
Now that you have decided if you should even be looking for an alternative, I have great news for you - there are tons of great options to choose from.
While there actually are around 20 alternatives to Canny, we filtered out the best ones by trying out all of them.
Featurebase is considered one of the best alternatives to canny.io. It has affordable pricing, a modern UI, and an industry-leading onboarding experience. You can set it up in minutes and always get quick help through live chat.
Feedback portal, changelog, and roadmap
Feature voting with automatic email updates
Custom statuses, tags & boards
Vote on behalf
Dark & light mode
Tons of integrations, including Zapier, Discord, Intercom, and Segment
You get all of Canny's paid features for just $35/month - that is 11X cheaper. It scales well with your product since you can capture unlimited feedback with all the plans.
Today hundreds of product teams like copy.ai, user.com, and usemotion.com have switched to Featurebase for the modern and easy to use user interface and affordable pricing.
You can give it a try for free and only continue using it if it's a good fit for your company.
Try Featurebase today →
Upvoty is also an affordable and widely-used Canny alternative that many product teams have switched over to due to its ease of use.
- Feedback portal, roadmap, changelog
- Slack, Intercom, and Zapier integration
- Dark mode
- Internal comments
- Outdated UI and UX
- Dev team is not active. As of writing this post their last logged change was 6 months ago.
Upvoty has very reasonable pricing for teams of all sizes.
Canny's free plan is equivalent to Upvoty's Power plan, which starts at $15/month. However, Canny's paid plan is equivalent to Upvoty's Unlimited Power plan, which costs $75/month.
If you are looking for an affordable canny.io alternative that helps you get an overview of what features to build next, then Upvoty isn't a bad choice.
However, from multiple years of looking into different feedback tools, we can say that there are even better options on the market for the same price.
If you'd like to learn more then check out these Upvoty alternatives →
Nolt is a lightweight feedback board that's great for small projects. It has extra features, like anonymous posting/upvoting, that Canny's free plan doesn't support.
- Feedback board and roadmap
- A lot of customization options and themes
- Ban users
- Private boards
Nolt only has one pricing tier and you can unlock all features for just $25/month.
- Does not scale well with a lot of data, doesn't have a dedicated admin view for easily staying on top of a lot of data
- Lacks features that similar tools support
Nolt is a good Canny alternative if you have a small team and don't have to deal with a lot of feature requests or bug reports.
If you have a larger team and need access to some advanced features and integrations, then there are better options on the market.
Check out these Nolt alternatives →
Producter is a brand-new product management software that lets you easily stay on top of user feedback and prioritize what to build next.
- Feedback board, roadmap, changelog and documentation
- Run sprints
- Slack and Github integration
Producter's pricing depends on how many editors your team has. Pricing is reasonable when you have a small team, starting at $21/month with a single editor.
However, things can get quite expensive since the Canny equivalent plan costs $39/month + $49/month for each editor. Therefore, with 5 editors you will have to pay close to $300/month, which isn't much cheaper than Canny.
- Still in beta, don't expect your experience to be bug-free
- Confusing pricing with a lot of different parameters
- Expensive pricing for large teams
- Only annual billing
Producter is a great choice if you are also looking to collect feedback and run sprints in the same tool. However, it is important to keep in mind that since Producter is still in beta, some important features that other tools offer might be missing.
Frill is a popular alternative to Canny. It has a simple design and supports most of the features Canny offers.
- SSO authentication
- Full translations (Every word is translatable into your own language)
- Vote on behalf
- Custom Domain
Frill's pricing starts at $25/month. However, that plan only lets you manage 50 active ideas at once. To unlock all the features and remove limits you will have to pay $149/month.
- Not great for staying on top of large amounts of data since it doesn't have a more organized admin view
- The feedback portal is slow and takes over 5 seconds to load on mobile.
- Pricing plan without a limit on how many ideas you can have open starts at $50/month
Frill is a great feedback tool that fills in the gaps that Canny's free plan misses for a reasonable price. Although it has some shortcomings when it comes to staying on top of large amounts of user feedback, it is still a good choice for most teams.
Hellonext is a customer feedback tool that has a lot of different features and is definitely worth looking into from this list.
- Custom domains
- Public and private boards
- Knowledge base
- Custom statuses
Hellonext has a free plan that is similar to Canny, but their paid plans start at $49/month and go up to $99/month.
- No custom CSS
- Not many customization options
- Their dashboard can feel bloated with too many options
- Full features plan costs $99/month
Hellonext is one of the best Canny alternatives on this list with a lot of different features. They have a modern and easy-to-understand user interface that makes managing feedback great.
Sleekplan is another affordable Canny alternative that not only supports public feedback boards and widgets but also supports satisfaction surveys.
- Feedback board, changelog, and roadmap
- Measure satisfaction
- Estimated dates
- Post moderation
Sleekplan offers a free plan, but we recommend Canny's since their free plan offers more essential features. Sleekplans' paid plans start at $15/month and go up to $45/month, making it a nice, affordable alternative.
- Not many customization options
- Design might feel outdated
- Lacks important and more advanced features compared to other alternatives
Sleekplan is a good choice for teams that want to measure customer satisfaction and don't need more advanced features. It is a nice, affordable alternative and also offers a free plan.
In conclusion, Canny is a great tool for some teams, but it can be expensive and lacks customization options. There are plenty of alternatives out there that offer more features, better customization options, customer support, and more affordable pricing.
Whether you need a simple feedback board, satisfaction surveys, or integration options, there are plenty of alternatives to canny.io that can fit your needs.
Featurebase, Upvoty, Nolt, Producter.co, Frill, Hellonext, and Sleekplan are all great options that you should consider before deciding.